DigiD in the Netherlands
Almost all residents of the Netherlands have a DigiD. This is an online proof of identity that allows the Dutch government to verify someone’s identity on the internet. For example, you need a DigiD if you want to file your tax return online or if you want to apply for a subsidy online. Curious about why you should get DigiD and how you can apply for one? Read on!
General advantages of DigiD
DigiD was launched in 2003, this was then known as the ‘New Authentication Provision’. In 2004, the name was changed to DigiD, which is short for ‘Digital Identity’.
What are the general advantages of having a DigiD?
- Free of charge
- Easy to use
- Always access to your personal information
- Access to the Dutch Corona Check App
- Apply online for your subsidies, arrange education, and more
- Secure and reliable login to government sites
Main advantage of DigiD
The main advantage of DigiD is that you can easily arrange your allowances online. Do you know which allowances, benefits, and discounts you are entitled to as a resident in the Netherlands?
- Healthcare allowance: The Dutch government pays its residents for health insurance. The amount of healthcare allowance you receive depends on the level of your income. You can apply for this allowance via www.toeslagen.nl.
- General tax credit: Everyone in the Netherlands is entitled to a general tax credit. This is a discount on your income tax and national insurance contributions. Your employer will arrange this discount for you.
- Children’s allowance: The Dutch government contributes every quarter to the costs associated with raising a child. If you have children under the age of 18, you can request this via www.svb.nl.
- Children’s benefit: This is a monthly contribution on top of the child benefit. The allowance is income-related and can be applied for via www.toeslagen.nl.
- Rent benefit: Are you renting a home? The Dutch government will help you with your rental costs if your rent is too much in relation to your income. You can apply for this allowance via www.belastingdienst.nl.
- Childcare benefit: Do you take your children to daycare in the Netherlands? The Dutch government will help you with your costs by means of an income-related allowance. You can request this via www.toeslagen.nl with your DigiD.
- Unemployment benefit: Are you unemployed or will you be unemployed soon? If you have worked for 26 weeks in the past 36 weeks, you can apply for unemployment benefits. You can apply for the benefit via www.uwv.nl.
How do you request a DigiD?
There is no harm in having a DigiD. How do you apply for this? It is important to know in advance that you need to have a valid BSN (Citizen Service Number). In the steps below, you can read about how to request and activate your DigiD.
Step 1. Go to the DigiD website
Go to this link to request for a DigiD.
Step 2. Fill in your personal data
- BSN (Citizen Service Number)
- Date of birth
- Postal code
- House number and addition
Step 3. Add your phone number
This is not a mandatory option, but we recommend you add a phone number. This makes logging in easier and more secure via 2FA authentication.
Step 4. Create login details
Choose a username and password that you will remember. If necessary, write your login details down somewhere so you don’t forget them. Never use a password with your name or a password you use for multiple different accounts. Never share your login details with anyone else.
Step 5. Wait for the letter
Within 3 working days, you will receive a letter in your mailbox. You will receive this letter at the address you entered in Step 1. It contains a unique code for activating your DigiD.
Step 6. Download the app
This step is not mandatory and mainly for ease of use. Download the DigiD app on your phone. You can use the app to log in and check your DigiD account. The app is secured with a pin code that you can create yourself.
It’s that simple to apply for your DigiD! This small effort saves a lot of time and effort in the future, mainly during your stay in the Netherlands. Furthermore, always keep your login details private and never use the same passwords.
Do you have any questions left? Contact us!