Changing employers in the Netherlands

Although employees used to remain employed by the same employer for many years, this has changed. Employees nowadays switch employers faster for a higher wage, a new challenge or an exploration of the labor market.

It is relatively easy to change employers. After you have found a new job and have agreed on the conditions, you can easily quit your job and start a new job with a new employer after a notice period.

What do you have to take into account as a highly skilled migrant if you change employers?

Want to ensure a smooth job transition?

hero image

Notice period

Chances are that you have agreed on a notice period when signing your employment contract. This is usually 1 calendar month. Keep this in mind when planning the start date with your new employer.

Sponsoring by the IND

Regarding the necessary permits for living and working in the Netherlands, it is necessary that your new employer, like your current employer, is a recognized sponsor with the IND. If you terminate your employment contract with your current employer and also agree to the conditions with the new employer, it is important that this is also reported to the IND.

Reporting to the IND

The termination of your employment must be reported to the IND by your current employer and your new employer must report to the IND on the first working day by means of the application for ‘change of employer’. In order to avoid gaps it is important that these dates follow each other. For this application you will be asked to submit all documents that you have previously submitted and your current and new employer must have the same file of these documents.

What happens if your employment ends without you having a new job?

It is possible that your employment is terminated by your employer and you wish to stay in the Netherlands, but you have not yet found a new job. In that case, the IND will give you the opportunity to find a new employer within 3 months. If this is the case, this will have no consequences for your stay in the Netherlands.

30% Facility

If you qualify for the 30% ruling, you can apply for this again via the new employer. This application can be made with the Tax Authorities. We at TOSS can tell you all about this tax advantage and how to apply.

What if my new employer does not have IND sponsorship?

Have you found a new job opportunity in the Netherlands, but your new employer is not a recognized IND sponsor? No worries, TOSS  has the solution for you: because TOSS  can arrange the recognized sponsor with the IND. You can still start your dream job that way.

Want to know how it works? Contact us and we will be happy to assist you with our immigration services.

What clients say

Franco García Parigi – IT Support Engineer
TOSS made the difficulties and hard labors of immigrating to The Netherlands easy. They were on every step of the way giving needed documentations with legal and work related solutions as well. They also provided, with their housing network, a suitable place to live according to all my needs and expectations. Astonishing work overall, fully recommended.


About TOSS

As The One Stop Shop, TOSS offers a wide range of services for expats and / or their employers in the field of living and working in the Netherlands with the aim of making every related process as smooth and effective as possible.

We have over 20 years of experience and we have carefully built up an extensive global network of specialists to serve you. All our team members are specialized and educated with all needed payroll certificates and our services meet the (inter)national standards.


Get in touch

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google
    Privacy Policy and
    Terms of Service apply.